This area will be updated with information about sites of interest to people of MacDougall or MacDowall descent. Please note that the provinces/territories are listed in alphabetical order.
McDougall Centre - Designed in the “Renaissance Revival” architectural style by the Provincial Architect, A.M. Jeffers, and opened in 1908, McDougall Centre was a training school for teachers till 1921,known as Calgary Normal School. From 1922 to 1981, McDougall School served as a junior high school, then an elementary school. As the number of students dwindled, the school was closed in 1981. The next year, it was named a historic site. The Alberta government re-purchased the building and restored it to its former magnificence. In 1987, McDougall Centre was reopened as the Alberta Government Centre for Southern Alberta.
Meeting rooms are available to non profit organizations. Educational programs are also available for school groups, Boy Scouts, Girl Guides and community groups.
McDougall United Church - Methodists started coming to Alberta in 1840, when Robert Rundle came to Fort Edmonton. He was an itinerant missionary, later another missionary by the name of Peter Campbell came to Edmonton in the 1860s. It was still 10 years before Edmonton had a resident Methodist. George McDougall established a school in 1871, to teach English to the children of the Hudson's Bay Company employees, because the most used languages then were French, Gaelic, and Cree.
The McDougalls were a family of Methodist missionaries: George and his son John started missions to the native people in Pakan (north-east of Edmonton), and Morley (west of Calgary). After the smallpox epidemic of 1870, in which many of the McDougall women and children died, the survivors moved to Edmonton before moving to Morley. The second Methodist church was built in 1892 and called "McDougall Church" in honour of the now deceased founder. The brick McDougall Church was built in 1910 and dedicated to the honour of George McDougall. There are McDougall United Churches in Edmonton, Calgary and Morley.
McDougall Lake - A small lake located less than 20 km west of Cold Lake Provincial Park.
MacEwan University - A post-secondary educational institution located in Edmonton, Alberta. Founded in 1971 as Grant MacEwan Community College, the institution got its start by offering primarily one and two year certificate and diploma programs. In 1988 it received approval to offer university transfer credit, and in 1999 dropped the word "community" from its name. In 2005 the institution rebranded itself through the creation of a one word logo and began referring to itself simply as "MacEwan". Since 2004, MacEwan has offered full bachelor's degrees, and on September 24th, 2009, the institution was officially renamed Grant MacEwan University. Since 2012 the university has been actively rebranding itself as "MacEwan University".
Fort Edmonton Park (1885 Street) - A site where time has stopped and is waiting for you to experience life as it was through four historical periods between 1846 and 1929. Check out 1885 Street, for it has McDougall Methodist Church, which is Edmonton's oldest surviving building (originally built in 1873), and McDougall's General Store.
McDougall Lake - Located in Wells Gray Provincial Park, it drains through File Creek into Murtle Lake. Named for Pete McDougal, who lived in the Clearwater River Valley from 1913 to 1936.
McDougall Rim - This trail is near Kelowna and begins with an intense uphill hike along a rocky path, but eventually tapers off onto flatter land winding through the forest to reach spectacular views of West Kelowna and the lake. Unfortunately this trail is not clearly labelled and is marked by usage rather than signs, meaning that there are several trails you could end up on. If checking it out, please be sure you know which path you are planning to take before hand. Be prepared to cross bridges, creeks and a variety of terrain. The trails were subject to wildfires in 2009 and are still recovering in some sections.
During spring time, a small waterfall opens up at about 4 km into the trail, snow can still be found in the area at this time as well, so if you wish to trek up to it, bring footwear with a good grip.
McDougall Rim is home to several types of wildflower in the summer time such as the Indian Paintbrush and Prairie Rose. It is also the natural habitat of an assortment of wildlife including bears, deer, coyote and other large animals which have been spotted in the area.
Newfoundland & Labrador
McDougall Gulch - The bold wall of the Long Range Mountains overlooks the Codroy Lowland along the Trans Canada Highway just north of Port aux Basques. Valleys cut through the Long Range Mountains, funnelling violent, gusty winds capable of overturning transport trucks, and in the past trains which once passed here. A local reisdent, Lauchie McDougall, understood the conditions and provided warnings before the trains passed. His service is marked by a memorial at this spot. The place was once known as Wreck House, and is located in the Cape Ray area. The name was changed back in the 1920s, and was once a small community.
MacDougall's Beach - Not much is known about this location on the coast of Newfoundland, but it does reinforce the power of nature.
Cairn Park - In Antigonish, Gaelic culture is alive and well. After recently celebrating their 150th Highland Games, it should come as no surprise that there are permanent markers for some of the clans that have a significant representation in the area. Clan MacDougall happens to be one of those clans. "Theid Duthchas an Aghaidh na'n Creag." Which means that "Kinship will withstand the rocks." The cairn in Antigonish has stood since the early 1980s. There is also a MacDougall cairn on Cape Breton Island at Broad Cove Banks, and our Clan Chief Morag MacDougall of MacDougall visited this site a few years ago.
Another item of note is that the Clan MacDougall Society of North America is a member of the Federation of Scottish Culture in Nova Scotia (FSCNS), and they frequently hold events that illustrate the strong Scottish heritage that is present there.
M'Clintock Channel (also spelled McClintock Channel) the channel, an arm of the Arctic Ocean, that divides Victoria Island from Prince of Wales Island. This channel is named after Sir Francis Leopold McClintock, an Irish explorer in the British Royal Navy, famous for his Canadian Arctic explorations. The channel is 170 miles (274 km) long, and between 65 to 130 mi (105 to 210 km) wide, making it one of the largest channels in the Canadian Arctic Archipelago. There is a good article about the channel here.
McDougall Sound - An Arctic waterway in Qikiqtaaluk, which is located between southern Bathurst Island and western Cornwallis Island. The southern mouth of the sound opens into the Parry Channel, and beyond that, the Barrow Strait. It is the namesake of George F. McDougall, who explored the sound in 1851 while wintering with Captain Horatio Austin's search team seeking the lost Franklin Expedition. The sound is home to bearded seal, and sometimes Atlantic walrus can also be found there. Paleo-Eskimo hunters occupied this region during three different historical time periods.
The Municipality of McDougall - The Municipality of McDougall is located in the District of Parry Sound, a two hour drive north of Toronto. The Township of McDougall was originally incorporate on May 1st, 1872, and was named after William McDougall, one of the Fathers of Confederation. In 2000, the merger of the Township of McDougall and the unorganized Township of Ferguson created the Municipality of McDougall. Get directions to visit here.
McDougall Cottage - A granite and limestone labourer's dwelling built around 1858 in Kitchener, it now serves as an interpretation centre, showcasing its unique interior and presenting small exhibits on monthly themes.
Big McDougal Lake - West of Temiscaming, Ontario.
Little McDougal Lake - West of Temiscaming, Ontario, and slightly smaller than its big brother above.
MacDowall - An organized hamlet situated on the northern edge of Nisbet Provincial Forest, and located about 30 km southwest of Prince Albert, SK. It was named after Day Hort MacDowall, an early territorial politician in the district during the 19th century. The image below is of a private grain elevator located just off the highway near MacDowall, SK.